Dr. Erandathie (Erandi) Lokupitiya
Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences
University of Colombo
Prof. Keith Paustian
Department of Soil and Crop Sciences,
Senior Research Scientist,
Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory,
Colorado State University,
Dr. Kevin Schaefer
National Snow and Ice Data Center,
University of Colorado, USA.
Official Airline Partner
The International Conference on Climate Change (ICCC) 2018 organized by The International Institute of Knowledge Management (TIIKM) Sri Lanka in collaboration with the University of Colombo as the hosting partner, Colarado State University as the academic partner and Colombo Plan as the strategic partner, was held on the 15th and 16th of February at the Taj Samudra Hotel, Sri Lanka. ICCC 2018 was held under the theme “Climate change and global sustainability: Action for bridging the gap”, and was chaired by Dr. Erandathie Lokupitiya, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences, University of Colombo. The opening remarks of ICCC 2018 were made by Conference Chair Dr. Erandathie Lokupitiya and Mr. Isanka P. Gamage (Managing Director, The International Institute of Knowledge Management).
The highlight of the inauguration of ICCC 2018 was the keynote address by Dr. Kevin Schaefer (National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, USA) on “The Interaction between Arctic Permafrost and Global Climate”. On the second day of the conference the participants had the privilege of hearing from Prof. Keith Paustian (Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, Senior Research Scientist, Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University, USA)
The conference consisted of seven technical sessions, during which researchers from around the world presented their research findings. The technical sessions were:
- Modeling And Detection of Changes in Recent And Future Climate
- Climate Change, Adaptation, Mitigation and Sustainable Development
- Climate Change and Agriculture
- Urbanization and Climate Risk Implications in Coastal and Other Areas
- Climate Change and Technology
- Climate Change Impacts on Biodiversity Conservation and Natural Resource Management
- Climate Change: Impacts on Water and Sanitation and Health in The Developing World
- Climate change and food security
- Observations for Long-Term Climate Monitoring
- Role of Renewable Energy Sources in a Warming World
- Climate Change and Energy: Policies, Planning & Management
- Climate Change and Sustainable Development
- Urbanization and flood risk implications in coastal and other areas
- Green growth and policy challenges in coastal zone management
Climate Change and Sustainability Forum 2018
A Forum on “Bridging the Gaps in Research, Policy and Industry” was organized in line with ICCC 2018. This segment featured 6 speakers who shared their industrial experience with the other participants and gave insight to measures taken by industries and policy makers to alleviate the impact of climate change on the environment and society.
The panel of the forum consisted of 5 panelists and the moderator.
- Athula Senaratne, Research Fellow, Head- Environment Economics Policy of the Institute of the policy of Sri Lanka (Moderator)
- Kevin Schaefer, National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, USA.
- B. M. S. Batagoda, Secretary Ministry of Power and Renewable Energy Sri Lanka
- Nihal Sirisena Dinaratne, Deputy Director (Rice Research and Development), Rice Research and Development Institute, Department of Agriculture, Sri Lanka
- Lalithasiri Gunaruwan, Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics University of Colombo
- Prof. Ajith de Alwis, Department of Chemical & Process Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
A workshop on “How to Survive the Scholarly Publication” was organized in line with ICCC 2018. The workshop was conducted by Dr. Erandathie (Erandi) Lokupitiya, Senior Lecturer, Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and Dr. Kevin Schaefer, National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, USA.
More than 100 participants
ICCC 2018 provided a solid platform for over 100 researchers and policy makers from across the globe to share their research findings with one another and to discuss the policy implications. The conference provided a refreshing experience for all, especially for the young researchers who had the opportunity to share their research findings on an international platform and to gain a better understanding about how other individuals and organizations are meeting the Climate change challenges.
The conference was enlightened by international researchers representing following Nations.
Russia South Africa
Sri Lanka Thailand
United Kingdom United States
7. Prof. Nebiye Musaoglu
12. Dr. Monthira Yuttitham
Evaluation Panel Members
Prof. Deepthi Wickramasinghe
University of Colombo
Dr. Kevin Schaefer
University Of Colorado