Dr. Erandathie (Erandi) Lokupitiya
Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences,
University of Colombo,
The 2nd International Conference on Climate Change 2018 was organized by The International Institute of Knowledge Management (TIIKM), Sri Lanka together with collaborations of the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka as the Hosting Partner and Colorado State University,
as the academic partner. The supporting ministry of the conference was Climate Change Secretariat, Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment, Sri Lanka. The Colombo Plan and Sri Lanka Convention Bureau were the Strategic partners.
The conference was held on 15th– 16th February 2018 in Colombo, Sri Lanka. ICCC 2018 was organized under the theme “Climate change and global sustainability: Action for bridging the gap” and was chaired by Dr. Erandathie Lokupitiya, Senior Lecturer of Environmental Science, Department of Zoology, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
The opening remarks of ICCC 2018 were made by Dr. Erandathie Lokupitiya (Conference Chair) together with Mr. Isanka P. Gamage (Managing Director, The International Institute of Knowledge Management).
The Keynote forum was one of most prestigious moments during the conference and it was enlightened by the keynotes and delivered speech by Prof. Keith Paustian, Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, Senior Research Scientist, Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University, USA and Dr. Kevin Schaefer, National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, USA.
Conference chair and speech delivered by Dr. Erandathie Lokuitiya (Senior Lecturer of Environmental Science, Department of Zoology, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The invited Speech was given by the Prof. Lakshman Dissanayaka (Vice Chancellor, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka) on behalf of the Hosting Partner.
The conference comprised of thirteen technical sessions and a poster session where researchers from around the world presented their research findings. The technical sessions as follow.
- Modeling And Detection of Changes in Recent And Future Climate
- Climate Change, Adaptation, Mitigation and Sustainable Development
- Climate Change and Agriculture
- Urbanization and Climate Risk Implications in Coastal and Other Areas
- Climate Change and Technology
- Climate Change Impacts on Biodiversity Conservation and Natural Resource Management
- Climate Change: Impacts on Water and Sanitation and Health in The Developing World
- Climate change and food security
- Observations for Long-Term Climate Monitoring
- Role of Renewable Energy Sources in a Warming World
- Climate Change and Energy: Policies, Planning & Management
- Climate Change and Sustainable Development
- Urbanization and flood risk implications in coastal and other areas
- Green growth and policy challenges in coastal zone management
Climate Change and Sustainability Forum 2018
The forum was one of the key features in ICCC 2018 which was held in the first day of the conference. The forum was conducted under the theme “Bridging the Gaps in Research, Policy and Industry”
Today the climate change has become a global challenge that does not respect national borders and International political response is highly required to conquer this challenge. The main objective of Climate Change and Sustainability forum was to create a global platform for scientists, Industry experts and policy makers to discuss and take actions to combat climate change and its impact.
The panel of the forum consisted of 5 panelists and the moderator.
- Athula Senaratne, Research Fellow, Head- Environment Economics Policy of the Institute of the policy of Sri Lanka (Moderator)
- Kevin Schaefer, National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, USA.
- B. M. S. Batagoda, Secretary Ministry of Power and Renewable Energy Sri Lanka
- Nihal Sirisena Dinaratne, Deputy Director (Rice Research and Development), Rice Research and Development Institute, Department of Agriculture, Sri Lanka
- Lalithasiri Gunaruwan, Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics University of Colombo
Prof. Ajith de Alwis, Department of Chemical & Process Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
Publication In process
A Workshop has conducted by the International Conference on Climate Change 2018. A workshop on “How to Survive the Scholarly Publication” was organized in line with ICCC 2018. The workshop was conducted by Dr. Erandathie (Erandi) Lokupitiya, Senior Lecturer, Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and Dr. Kevin Schaefer, National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, USA.
More than 100 participants
ICCC 2018 provided a solid platform for over 75 researchers, stake holders and policy makers from across the globe to share their research findings with one another and to discuss the policy implications. The conference provided a refreshing experience for all, especially for the young researchers who had the opportunity to share their research findings on an international platform. The conference was enlightened by international researches representing followed Nations.
Russia South Africa
Sri Lanka Thailand
United Kingdom United States
Evaluation Panel Members
Prof. Deepthi Wickramasinghe
University of Colombo
Dr. Kevin Schaefer
University Of Colorado
Past Conference Keynote Speeches
Dr. Scott Denning
Dr. Eleanor Milne